Bite Size Chinese History Workshop: Zhou Dynasty – The Golden Age in Chinese Civilisation
March 22 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm£12
A fun, interactive workshop for all those interested in Chinese culture and language, whether you’re a total beginner or you know a little already! Learn about Chinese history and the impact it has had on China today. Use this session to meet like-minded people, prepare yourself for a trip to China, enhance your Chinese language studies, or just to find out more about a different culture!
- Are you interested in China and want to learn more about its culture and history?
- Are you curious to understand how they shape the way Chinese people live, work and do business today?
- Do you want to meet others who are interested in Chinese culture and travel?
- Maybe you are totally new to Chinese language and culture but want to know what it’s all about?
- Perhaps you are already studying Chinese, and keen to better understand China?
Our fun, interactive talk series ‘Bite Size Chinese History’ is perfect for you! We’ll take a deep dive into dynasties that had a significant influence on China, giving you a rich experience of Chinese culture, traditions, and history of Chinese people. We’ll start from the basics, and teach you all about how Chinese history has influenced modern day China.
What you’ll get out of it:
- Hear about the Golden Age of Chinese civilisation – the Zhou Dynasty
- Travel back to 1046 B.C. to experience this legendary historical period through fascinating stories, folk tales, and remarkable imagery and video illustrations
- Better understand contemporary Chinese society and mentality, by understanding the past events that shaped the present
- Relaxing and creative environment to kick start your weekend and meet like-minded people
- A perfect follow-on activity to our Discovering China at the British Museum tour, as we deep-dive into moments of Chinese history illustrated during the tour!
- Price: £12 pre-booked, £14 at the door
- Location: The Artworks Classrooms, 60 Weston St, SE1 3QJ (3 minutes from London Bridge)
Why the Zhou Dynasty (周 朝)?
The Zhou Dynasty is regarded as the Golden age in the Chinese civilisation, for its spirituality and political morality. It is in this period that two of the most important philosophers in Ancient China, Confucius and Laozi, lived and taught, elaborating the doctrines of Confucianism and Taoism, which have shaped, and still strongly influence the Chinese culture.
The Zhou Dynasty is also a key period in the Chinese civilization history because of the technological inventions which were created in those years. One of the inventions was compass which played a key role in fostering overseas commerce and trade.
The Zhou Dynasty also witnessed the thriving of Arts, as Chinese Chess and Chinese painting benefited from the government’s investments and the artists’ dedication. It is in those years that two of the most important pieces of the Chinese literature were published: The Book of songs and Gan and Shi’s Celestial Book, which was regarded as the earliest astronomic work in the world.
Come and discover more about the Golden age in Chinese civilisation, join our interactive talk!
China Unbound Cultural Programme
This event is part of China Unbound’s 2019 Cultural Programme, an exciting and diverse programme of events, interactive talks, workshops on China’s culture, history, ways of living and doing business, to help professionals and businesses better connect with China, open up new opportunities and enhance your employability. Topics include: Chinese history, Chinese festivals & food, Discovering China at the British Museum, Book/movie reviews about China, Chinese ideologies & folklores
Bite Size Chinese History: Zhou dynasty – 22 March
Only 33 left