Beginner Mandarin 1 – Survival 101
January 22 @ 7:00 pm - March 25 @ 8:30 pm£40 – £430
This course focuses primarily on helping you, as a beginner, to acquire basic conversational skills across a range of survival topics. These are your realistic expectations:
- Master Pin-yin pronunciation, so you can pronounce people’s names, cities and signs properly!
- Sail through basic conversations in Mandarin with ordinary Chinese people. You’ll be able to exchange basic greetings, share and ask personal information such as name, job, home, nationality, your daily routine, and order food and drink items
- String simple sentences together with new-found confidence
- Grapple successfully with Chinese grammar (sentence structure)
- Join in a fun cultural immersion activity at the end of the course to practice your Mandarin with native Chinese speakers!
- Develop strong conversation, listening and pronunciation skills
- Gain a basic understanding of how Chinese characters work, learn a small range of basic Chinese characters
Typical topics in this course include:
- Pinyin and tones!
- Hello and good bye
- Everyday greetings
- Introducing yourself, occupation and nationality (and asking others!)
- Introducing your family
- Introducing your friends
- Numbers, dates and days of the week
- Your daily schedule and making plans with others
- Ordering simple food & drinks
- We’ll take a field trip to a Chinese restaurant – order your meal with a native Chinese person!
- Cultural insights: greeting etiquette, numbers and their implications in life and business, Chinese dining etiquette
- Chinese characters: how to make sense of them?!, recognising common structures, how to write them, learn a small range of basic characters
Please order the textbook here so that you can be ready when the course starts!
Mastering Chinese1 Paperback (Palgrave Master Series (Languages))
- Free weekly conversation practice with native speakers
- Never miss a lesson with audio files, detailed lesson notes and exercises
- Small class of 5 – 8 people, great opportunity to learn with others and still get a good level of individual attention from your trainer
- Fun immersive lessons to help you speak from day one
- Short lessons (1.5 hours) so you can remain focused after a full day’s work – do less but remember more!
- Satisfaction Guaranteed!No quibble refunds available if you are not completely satisfied
- Option to pay a deposit of £40.00 per ticket. Balance is due 14 days before course starts.